Gearbox Design and Development
Custom gearboxes are utilized in various industries because they provide the right amount of power required to operate the system. Motor and Gear Engineering, Inc. provides gearbox design and development services. Be it a gearbox design for a single system, a subsystem, or an entire system – we can undertake all types of projects. A vast industry experience combined with a talented resource pool aid us assess the design requirements, manufacturability, as well as several operational expectations from the system.
Performance Requirements Considered in Gearbox Design and Development
The gearbox design and manufacturing involves several considerations. At Motor & Gear Engineering, Inc., we combine various factors to design the specific operations of a gearbox. These include the following:
- Dimensional Requirements: By considering the following, our experts aptly determine the restrictions of the space design:
- Distance of centers of the shafts or profile shifting between the shafts – whichever is applicable.
- Space availability for mounting shafts
- Physical Parameters: The following factors affect the gear performance, thus, our experts take them seriously:
- Desired speed: This mainly depends on the number of teeth chosen.
- Torque: This refers to the rotational force required by a gear motor.
- Speed and Power: The range of power and speed required to ensure the satisfactory operation of a motor.
- Direction of Force Transmission: It basically affects the type of gears, as well as the tooth helix direction.
- Some other considerations in this category include pitch, pressure angle, material, tooth width, profile shifting amount, and heat treating methods to be employed.
- Handling and Usage Considerations: These considerations also make a big impact along with the aforementioned parameters:
- Desired Durability: The decision on the desired durability is made after analyzing the tooth surface strengths, as well as the bending of gears.
- Noise and Vibration: Our in-depth understanding of noise and vibration across each application helps us decide on the use of end relief or crowing, the choice of tooth grinding or not, and type of the lubrication method.
Gearbox Materials We Work With
We regularly work with the following gearbox materials:
- Machined Steel: This is one of the popular materials used for manufacturing gears, shafts, as well as pinions. Load bearing capacity of this material can be easily improved by machining. Also, it can be easily treated to reduce the gear size.
- Bronze: This material is used for building helical gears. However, the use of the material is limited to gearboxes built for specific applications.
- Zamak: The alloy features copper, aluminum, zinc, and magnesium. Being sturdy, this alloy mimics properties of steel. However, it is much cheaper than steel. Zamak may undergo treatment to improve its properties.
- Plastic: Along with machined steel, the plastic is one of the popular choices for building gearbox. Although the material has only a 10% load capacity of the steel, still it is preferred in several applications due to several other benefits that it offers.
Are you working on a specific speed reducer design? We can help you. Please contact us at the earliest to know more.